Fr. Mankowski on Covid consecrations: The sort of thing I would post on Facebook...

This new blog is an experiment.

I made it so I can post little things I would want to share on Facebook (or even Twitter), if I were convinced it is the best way anymore.* I have not been sure how to start...

How about an email exchange, not too long ago, between some of us and Fr. Paul Mankowski SJ, RIP**  

I was pondering the slippage into even more irreverence and even sacrilege since Covid restrictions have been in place than what we were already used to.

Chappie A (let's call him Phil), in this email exchange, remarks: 

Here’s a striking line from the (astonishingly pettifogging) guidelines for reopening churches in the Boston archdiocese:

"During the consecration, hosts to be distributed should be placed on a second corporal to the side, so that they are not directly in front of the priest."

So will these hosts be consecrated or not?


Chappie B, Fr. Mankowski, replies:

OK, well let's suppose the paten on the main corporal is 14 inches directly in front of the celebrant, and the ciborium on the adjacent corporal is the same distance from the edge of the altar but at an angle of 42 degrees from the celebrant. 

The relevant trig function is sin θ = a/h, i.e. 1.4945 = h/14, whence h = 20.923. 

Assuming that consecratory power is inversely proportional to the distance between priest and consecranda, this means that the hosts in the ciborium are 66.9% the Body of Christ, and that ought to be enough for any docile Catholic.

And that about sums it up...  

 


*(I do have my main blog, Like Mother, Like Daughter, but there I like to post at least one picture, and I talk about a different sort of thing.)

**(Go here for my husband's remembrance of Fr. M. And here for mine.) 


17 comments:

  1. Is this exchange supposed to make us laugh? Or cry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it’s a “have to laugh” situation 😬😬

      Delete
  2. I see it as we better laugh or we will cry a million tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The further comment by Chappie A was: "It's almost as if they don't want them to be consecrated"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was taught in university that every Christological heresy under the sun had long been invented. But you may have come up with a new one.
    Alas, as a wise person once said, you can't be half pregnant. Nor 66.9%

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it that any item on the corporal which the priest intends to consecrate, is consecrated? Do all hosts have to be right in front of the priest? I think they should be, but the priest will be touching each of them in the end, so why would you separate them? Addled brains here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say thank you, Auntie Leila*, for teaching me the word "pettifogging" today; it's so clever!

    *Is it appropriate to call you Auntie Leila over here? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you are here because since I gave up Facebook and Twitter I have really missed you (which is probably a little weird since I don't exactly know you but this is social media reality for you ;)). What I have missed is your commentary on life, "especially in these unprecedented times" (I can't even say that phrase out loud without groaning). I wish I had known Fr. Mankowski before. Thank you for sharing him with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you-also making changes on all media. Glad everyone is keeping connected. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. It might be the inverse Square law as in gravitation for the inverse Cube law as in magnetism !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean I was lost at "the relevant Trig function"

      Delete
  10. Leila I am so very grateful for your insights.
    We are attending the Byzantine Catholic church now because of so much diabolical things happening in our parish of 47 yrs.
    Our church is not perfect, however it is so timeless with the Icons that speak to us. The Eucharistic consecration has never changed in their tradition. Without this I might have lost my faith due to the acts of what is happening in the RC Churches. God is so good to send us here. Keep the faith! There is always a Bible OPEN and the Catechism is our spiritual Armor! May the Mother of God continue to lead you to save souls! Loretta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loretta. I feel your pain. You are exactly right.

      Delete