The arguments for abortion are the same as for divorce

 So says Leila Miller: 

7 Pro-Abortion Arguments that Work for Divorce, Too: The justifications for abortion and divorce are eerily similar

Why is it important to understand that the arguments for abortion and divorce are essentially identical? Because Catholics—and everyone else, really—need a wake-up call. I often say Catholics are against divorce in theory but not in practice, and that is not acceptable. We must be all in for God’s moral law and fight for truth at every turn. My hope is that when we find ourselves or others using these seductive, dangerous arguments to justify divorce, we will wake up, take note of the lie, and reverse course. In fact, let’s find new phrases and words to counter the false narratives above.

I totally agree with Leila!

And I would ask people to consider that no-fault, widespread divorce harms marriage, creating a situation where fornication is also widespread. And abortion on demand is, simply put, a result of fornication. Where it occurs in a marriage, it is the result of society giving up on that marriage; giving up on being willing to help a couple in trouble.

Let's resolve to oppose divorce. God hates divorce! 


4 comments:

  1. YES!!! I simply cannot believe the amount of "good" Catholics who can so easily justify divorce!! They don't even try. The smallest of faults can be labeled as "abuse" in some circles. It's both discouraging and annoying because, particularly online, if you try to offer some amount of supernatural perspective you're immediately shut down. Ironically though, many of the same people who would advocate for leaving a spouse over such labeled "abuse" are also the ones who so easily justified a vote for a pro-abortion Catholic candidate this last election. Compromise in any area and it's easy to compromise in every area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What really helped me not move toward divorce was remembering the teaching of Jesus that if I want to be forgiven I have to forgive. Mercy and grace work in preserving marriages. Have we collectively lost the ability to do difficult things? Have we forgotten the golden rule to treat others the way we want to be treated? Do we need to have a big ol' revival?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. It is disheartening to see how many Catholics went ballistic over Leila Millers article. This is Catholic teaching is it not! And yet so many want to excuse and justify divorce .
    When my spouse left me I was shocked at how many fellow Catholic friends, family and worse - our priests literally encouraged divorce and to of course then go get an annulment.. all in the name of seeking( as one of the pastors literally said” ones contentment ”..
    like a mother facing a crisis or difficult pregnancy - a marriage going through difficulty is a cross..
    but like many crosses that God permits in this life- persevering faithfully often leads to a greater joy than if one runs from /discarded the cross.
    I am thankful for Leilas courageous voice of reason and truth in a world that is going mad.
    What the Church taught about marriage for centuries does not, and cannot change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therese, I appreciate and commend you for holding fast to your marital vows. Thank you! I have a friend who was recently divorced after nearly 40 years of married life. Her husband ended up going off the deep end and leaving her after raising nearly 7 children! When I spoke with her I mentioned her living out faithful spousehood and she was already talking annulment! I was like, "Why?" But that was the "natural next step" she was being encouraged to follow. Those voices were definitely louder than mine, but I tried.

      Delete