Bad lockdown conscience

A terrible consequence of the past two+ years that I want to note in a general way: 

A trend with some very online people displaying a manifestly bad conscience about having gone along with and vehemently argued for the lockdown, masking, and vaccination. Their behavior is what results when conscience torments, in this case because they gave in to fear, and in the process, harmed their followers who were persuaded by them.

Those who based what they said specifically on "love of neighbor" seem to be worse off than others, I have to say, in this regard of becoming more and more outrageous in their loud and irrational insistence that the universe owes them something that they are too angry to identify.

Their vituperation is increasingly aimed at good things: God, Christianity, marriage, even children. They question everything. They don't have any real arguments, but rather, emotionally rail against anyone who speaks out about what is undeniable, namely that there was a real deception, to which they fell prey. They especially direct their ire at anyone who warns -- in general -- of the consequences of the current trajectory of society in many areas, and the need for a return to a traditional way of life.

I really won't name those I have observed; that's not the point. I'm alerting anyone tempted to argue with such people, to the phenomenon. These were, before the Great Temptation, level-headed enough, but now are bent on dragging everyone down to a permanent state of cynicism; we went through a winnowing time, sadly, and this is one of the results. The general profile includes admitting to and even vaunting self-medication, drug use, and forms of paganism; finally, the descent into a nihilistic attitude that they can't help venting over and over. They have lost hope because they have lost their sensitivity to their consciences, which have now become avenging. 

Thus, argument will have little effect. They are like the Narnian dwarves in The Last Battle. Having beaten down conscience for so long, they are blind and deaf -- and sometimes even insane.

It would be better for them, if they could understand, simply to say, "I was wrong and I apologize for my part in what happened. I regret not listening to those who tried to warn me." Maybe follow up with some penance, like remaining silent for a time. Peace follows repentance. Anyone who has struggled with his conscience (and I am certainly one!) knows the happiness that follows true repentance. 


3 comments:

  1. I love "Peace follows repentance" and as our Lord and Savior said, "Go, and sin no more."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, as a pastor regret the "sealing of the churches. I was obedient to my bishop but the act was still wrong, sinful and has implications for the future.

    While the Blessed Sacrament was placed in a locked tabernacle in the glass narthex it was heartbreaking (but edifying too) to see families and individuals kneeling before the locked church doors praying before the reserved Sacrament.

    Fortunately , for those who asked we were able to distribute Holy Communion, safely, I believe.

    Parking lot Masses, Zoomed Masses and spiritual Communions were not worthy substitutes for the real things.

    If this were to happen again, I would have to search my soul and conscience before closing the church.

    Obedience can be a heart rending thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Auntie Leila! I went to your other blog, "Like Mother, Like Daughter." I know that your site had some issues recently, but it appears as if the whole blog is down. Please forgive me if I am the tenth person to come along and remark about it. I will pray for it all to be resolved soon. Have a beautiful, blessed new week!

    ReplyDelete