Did you know?

I gave a talk last night to some ladies, some of whom have my books already and follow me closely... yet they didn't know I have a podcast!

Did you? 

You can find it here: Home Truths Society

These are the topics I've talked about so far, and I can pretty much guarantee some thoughts on all the subjects that you may not have expected, nor have heard before:

The Reasonably Stocked and Prepared Life, or Doing a Little More -- How to become, not self-sufficient (so few of us have a homestead, and the advice we hear can be alarmist), but a bit more prepared, without stressing out too much. I especially talk about the importance of breast-feeding your child and encouraging new mothers to breast-feed.

Choosing Children’s Books (and Movies) -- In this episode, I outline the stages of development of the child, and explain what kinds of stories are good for them, when -- and what kinds are not, and can harm their imagination with too much, too soon.

Beauty Will Save the Neighborhood -- Why having your own political sign in your yard, to counteract the ubiquitous BLM/LGBT ones, is not going to help anyone, and what you can do instead.

The Summa Domestica: A Homeschool Retreat for Mothers and Fathers -- How reading my set of books, The Summa Domestica: Order and Wonder in Family Life, is better than a homeschooling conference.

Is Chastity a Ministry? Parents (and pastors) have outsourced to "experts" the formation of their children in love and marriage preparation, and that is not a good thing at all. I urge you to reject sex education, including "chastity ministry," completely.

Don’t Let the World Raise Your Teenager: How to Have Good Culture with Young People -- Why would you carefully curate your youngster's aesthetic and moral education, and then send him, as a teenager, into a world entirely formed by pop culture (or worse)? I help you see what the alternative is!

Why Parish Marriage Prep Fails, with Leila Miller -- Parishes have been offering marriage preparation along the same lines for more than a generation now. Is more of the same a good idea? Leila Miller and I talk about the reasons it is not, and the real reason marriage prep is doomed.

Real Marriage Preparation that Works -- How then should we help couples prepare for marriage? The answer might surprise you. 

Although I find it relatively easy to write a blog post (either here or over at Like Mother, Like Daughter), I find it harder to do podcasts. For one thing, there is no comment function, so I have little idea of whether the listener has benefitted from and enjoyed what I've said! For another, I find I need to visualize my audience. On the blogs, it's easy for me. With the podcast, it's harder.

So let me know what you think! We may make some changes... we may mix things up a bit. We are interested in knowing your response to these podcasts! 



31 comments:

  1. I love your podcasts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy your podcasts and the variety of topics you discuss. Please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a chance that podcast transcripts might become available? I am a strongly visual rather than auditory learner, and podcasts are a trial rather than a blessing to me. But I'm quite interested in your content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ask the administrator. I just don't know!

      Delete
  5. As a diehard LMLD/Auntie Leila fan, I *did* indeed know and have listened to all the episodes. I have made my husband listen to several as well, and this is a comment to say that you should keep the episodes coming, because it seems to be a lot easier to forward a podcast episode than a blog post or book chapter to husbands! ;) (well, I also love them myself!). Thank you!! I know they can be a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole. I will try to do more!

      Delete
  6. I enjoy the podcast, Leila. Especially the first episode. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just the subject matter? Or anything else in particular about that one?

      Delete
  7. I love your books(when I can manage to sit still for a moment), and I adore your podcast! I'm a mother of six wonderful (and wonderfully loud) young children, so it's very easy for me to listen as I fold laundry or do the dishes. I've also been binge listening to your podcasts on Fr. McTeigue's Catholic Current radio show. So please, yes, more podcasts! Audio versions of your books would also be fantastic, but I understand that would be a quite an undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't do podcasts, but I am currently sick so I listened to the two you did on marriage preparation. Oh my! Our own mandatory marriage prep consisted of a series of talks by a mix of priests and married couples - it was actually quite commonsensical, it even ended with Confession. We also had a few talks with the priest who would marry us - he was not the one we had in mind, who got transferred far away at the last minute and could not marry us. Those talks did not go as well, as he advised us to wait 2 years to have children, so we'd have a chance to know each other better... but he said he did not want to know how we'd achieve those 2 years! Because of our unusual circumstances, I can see why he was a bit worried, but my husband and I went on to have 2 children in 2 years, so that was that :-)

    We had done our own marriage prep on the side anyway, my husband having discovered Three to Get Married years earlier, and also another wonderful book by Leo and Amy Kass, Wing to Wing, Oar to Oar. We loved reading and discussing it! One selection really impressed me, it was actually written by an Episcopal minister, Rober Capon, taken from his book Bed and Board. The idea that all you need to start your married life is your bed and a table was just glorious! He calls them "the geography of matrimony". Years later, when I started reading your blog, I could recognize much of the same thinking. I actually never sought the whole book, but just those few pages helped shape our attitude in a very good way.

    I love it when you write about feminism, so you could do podcasts as well, if you feel so inspired. Thank you for all your hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had never read that Kass book. I love the idea of the geography of matrimony, and it reminds me of a book by the late Anne Husted Burleigh, Journey up the River -- you might enjoy it as well!

      Delete
  9. I have been reading your blog for years and love it. I don't seem to be able to listen to podcasts as easily but when i can i do like what you have to say. The marriage ones were especially good and provoked great conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I enjoy reading the Summa Domestica books and blog entries podcasts are practical to listen to while doing housekeeping like ironing or folding laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, boy, that most recent talk about marriage prep -- what should be done, rather than what is -- I would LOVE to see it implemented. I do just worry about the Church requiring so many hoops for people to jump through -- a whole year of prep? Doesn't anyone remember how hard it is to stay chaste when you're in love and ready to be together? Maybe not...

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I did not know you had a podcast! I suspect none of my mom friends, many of whom are also long-time readers of your blog, realize this either. I will share this in my circles 😄

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've listen to and loved them all! Keep them coming! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What if you did the podcasts with one of your daughters? On a rotating basis? I often find having two people on a podcast can keep things moving. If not your daughters, maybe your husband?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- my daughters are too busy! But my husband and I have been talking about this possibility. He says his aim would be to help me keep it short LOL

      Delete
    2. For what it's worth, I am VERY grateful for how carefully you speak on your podcasts (and don't mind the length at all). It's clear that you have thought not only about the topic at hand, but *how* to articulate it.
      Whenever you are a guest on a podcast or co-host with someone, I find myself wishing it was just you because the overall quality of the content tends to be lower.

      Delete
  15. I really enjoyed discovering your podcasts after spending lots of time browsing around on the blog (I am currently working my way through the Summa Domestica slowly. :)
    I would love more podcasts! I have to say that they are an easy way to share your content. I sent the "how to choose children's books" podcast to a few friends and family members, and the interview you did with your husband about "God Has No Grandchildren" encouraged a friend and I to start reading Casti Connubii together, which has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another LMLD reader here who has really enjoyed every one of the podcasts! The one for choosing books for children (with the info on different stages of childhood) and the one on culture for teenagers (with the emphasis on teaching temperance) were particularly helpful for me.

    Also, relating to the marriage prep, it is funny to me that when my parents married in the '70s, my grandmother told my mom (a convert when she met my dad) that the Church did not like long engagements and that they were not *allowed* to be engaged for more than 6 months! It was a helpful thing to have in mind when I was critized for having an engagement that only lasted 4 months... Anyhow, I certainly did appreciate getting your perspective in the marriage podcasts as well! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yes, it's actually *imprudent* to have a long engagement, under normal circumstances.
      Among other things, you need the grace of the sacrament for bonding and overcoming differences in temperament, etc -- before bad habits form!

      Delete