Is the Sede Vacans? Fr. Mankowski on the question

I am sure that many of my readers are followers of Fr. James Altman and have seen his latest video, in which he states that "Bergoglio is not the Pope" and indeed that is its title. You can read about it here in 1Peter5, and I agree with T. S. Flanders' analysis. 

Fr. Altman's mode is repugnant to me and his affect ought to set off warning bells; his words declaring his embrace of the rogue sedevacantist position repels me; his undermining of the careful work of faithful critics of this papacy over the years demoralizes me.

I have never liked Fr. Altman's abuse of the pulpit, where in my opinion, political rants from any side ought to be completely forbidden. There is plenty of scope for the homilist to impart as energetically as he likes the principles upon which one must act and judge in the public sphere. But Holy Mass ought to be a refuge from the sorts of fevered partisan polemics one meets everywhere else (and indeed legitimately engages in, without the fevered polemics part, in secular life).

I have been suspicious of his role in the "canceled priest" movement. It is undoubtedly a dire situation we have, where a priest can be sanctioned without due process, often for doing what the Church, in her perennial teachings and practices, urges him to do, such as admonish (austerely and without indulging his passions), teach, and carry out rituals according to prescription. However, there is scope for manipulation there and the faithful have to be alert. It grieves me to have to say so. Let's pray for all our priests.

In any case, one of my goals here is to share the treasury of correspondence and memory my husband and I had with our dear, departed friend Fr. Paul Mankowski. I don't see any particular mention of Fr. Altman in the archive, but there is an exchange that is pertinent to this situation. 

You see, the argument used to rationalize Fr. Altman's intemperance is that Pope Francis is just that bad. Believe me, we get the bad part. In fact, Phil and I have been accused of being schismatics for this reason: calmly arguing that he is a bad Pope. Our defense is that it's better than thinking he is no Pope at all. Why? Because it is for the bishops to decide such a thing. Yes, we understand their pusillanimity, their inaction, their strange, yet historically consistent, alas, state of denial. 

Our role as laity, as we see it, is to convince them that they must have courage. To do that, we need strong reasoning and a grip on sanity. 

Here is the exchange (from 2017! but remains relevant, until such time as the bishops do their duty by our confusion):

Fr. Mankowski to me: 

You're too young [not really, but kind of him to say so] to remember the comics in which Dagwood was hanging out his office window clinging to the ledge, while Mr Dithers stamped up and down on his fingers -- but in the same way I've felt myself suspended over the pit of Sede Vacantism while Francis comes out every other day to dance on my white knuckles.

Yet I tell myself that, strictly speaking, the sedes is not vacans yet.  The chair of Peter has a validly installed papal rump weighing upon it even though, alas, the rump is the only part of the pontiff that seems to be doing its job.

Ed Peters wrote earlier that, with regard to Canon Law, the current Code is in all matters of doubt presumed to be binding; i.e., unless a particular canon is explicitly deleted or altered in forma specifica that canon remains the authentically directive norm.

To continue to call myself a Catholic I'm applying the same reasoning to the Francis papacy.  Until and unless he formally and explicitly declares false the teaching of Familiaris consortio, Veritatis splendor, and the Gospel according to Matthew, I feel free to continue to regard them as current and directive Catholic doctrine.  In a word, everything above the papal shoulders may be vacant, but the See itself isn't.

I haven't said this in a homily.  Yet.

And my husband's reply:

That’s what I’ve been saying for a while now, to try to calm people down. There’s no reason to think of Francis as an Antipope, let alone as the Antichrist. Let’s stick to what we know and can readily demonstrate: he’s a bad pope. We’ve had bad popes before (although not quite of this variety), and survived. 

Even a year ago I would have thought it outlandish to say that you could comfort good Catholics by saying: We have a bad pope. But you can.

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. Fr. Altman also makes me seriously uncomfortable, but so many people in my social circle embrace him. I hate that everything is becoming political, especially discussion regarding Church matters. As you said, defend the principles - keep the partisanship at home! - Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And -- pay attention to your spidey sense!

      Delete
  2. “The chair of Peter has a validly installed papal rump weighing upon it even though, alas, the rump is the only part of the pontiff that seems to be doing its job.”
    Much needed humor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. Fr. mankowski was great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your clarity. This is a difficult topic, and you are helping to clear up confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so very much, for this calm and measured commentary. And then, having humor thrown in, is just the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pope is of the Office I wouldn't wish on except the dearly departed Cardinal Merry del Val. Strategy of Siena had much sorrow in advising the Avignon Popes.

      Francis needs the prayers of the faithful at every Mass, the prayers necessary for so many indulgences, and the prayers necessary to fulfilling the promises of the First Saturday devotions.

      The more we are disappointed with the Holy Father, the greater should be our resolve to pray for him; his soul and his Office.

      Delete
  6. More like Pope Frambiguous than Pope Frantichrist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fr. Altman’s comments may be factually correct: a Pope that teaches heresy is de facto excommunicate. HOWEVER, what he is missing is that we do not have the authority to make this judgement. It belongs to the Church herself to make this judgement. And, until such a judgement would be issued, Francis I is sadly The Pope. Pope Francis still has time to walk back some statements, clarify others, and issue corrections on still others. Francis is Pope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, did not mean to publish anonymously- my first name is Rick

      Delete
  8. Thank You Sooo Much for this!!! Such a distressing situation! The humor helps tremendously. And, of course, so do the sane perspectives presented here. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How oh how am I supposed to convince my Protestant friends and those of my inner circle of family that have left the Catholic Church that the Pope is not a modern , get with the times , on board , about time , great guy ? Anything I say I must substantiate , read up on , and then the rabbit hole of further Catholic anti catholic rhetoric begins . So , I just answer , he is confusing. This answer generally stumps the questioner or begs clarification which I must proceed with care.

    Father A , and Father JM, two gentlemen with big mouths and an agenda .

    Do not be deceived I tell myself and those willing to listen .

    Thank you Lawlers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve just finished reading “St. Catherine of Sienna” by Sigurd Undset. If we think these are the times that try men’s souls, a glimpse at the papal mess she had to address was catastrophic! There were actually good reasons with which one could argue that Pope Urban lV was not elected lawfully. The dispute was often addressed by bloodshed and mayhem. Thank God we are not in those times and then plead with Him to raise up great saints like Catherine!
    Germaine

    ReplyDelete
  11. There have been many antipopes and saints who called them out, or followed them for a time. These saints were lay people along with priests. Nothing wrong here with Fr. Altman calling out an antipope. The distinction is that he, nor we have the authority or competence to oust an antipope. That has to be done by the bishops. We do have the authority to speak out as proved by saints throughout the history of our Church. There have been over 40 antipopes in the history of the Church. It is not out of the realm of probability that the man called Pope Francis is an antipope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the arguments for him being antipope hold up. People can discuss it, I suppose, but as it's a matter for the bishops, I think it's better to focus on WHAT Pope Francis teaches/fails to teach/does/doesn't do than what his status is.
      I think it drains our energy to worry about it.
      But the video of Fr. Altman is super disturbing. He does the cause of truth-telling no good. He is an example of controlled opposition.
      BTW please use initials or a name rather than commenting as anonymous

      Delete
  12. Fr. Altman is correct. God bless him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't post anonymously

      Delete
    2. yes, he is correct. how can a non-Christian be a Pope?

      Delete
  13. Amen. To call him a sede is so off the mark. Tells me that those doing so are simply jumping at just this video and not hearing the several others Fr. Altman has done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please leave initials or a name when posting

      Delete