Be anxious for the fray -- news and commentary resources

Today I am sharing some resources I find myself returning to on a regular basis. If you are looking for good content, here you go.

Since people ask me what their kids can read or listen to for current events, I try to keep that request in mind as I am listening and reading. Back in the day, you could take the local and national newspapers and have your children read those. Today, the former has collapsed and the latter is simply an arm of the state (those two facts are not unrelated). 

However, since a lot of the news centers on gender ideology, it's simply not appropriate for children! What a problem... what's a parent to do? I am skeptical of so-called "neutral" news aggregator sites, as I think they end up promoting the state-approved narratives after all.

The following links might be appropriate for your high school student; you'll have to examine them yourself, because everyone has their own standards for their family (for instance, someone with generally good analysis might occasionally use salty language). 

My title on this post comes from the motto of The Federalist, a quote from Calvin Coolidge (a truly great president by the way), who said: "Be lovers of freedom and anxious for the fray." 

David Harsanyi ends each episode of the weekly podcast with Mollie Hemingway, You're Wrong, with this inspiring line.

They discuss the news, with analysis, and I always get a lot out of it. I appreciate Mollie's refusal to accept the terms set by the opposition -- she thinks clearly and insists on using her own vocabulary to characterize her opinions (e.g. "protections of the unborn" vs. "abortion bans"). She is articulate and informed, including about past events and figures. (I often worry about the current pundit class's ignorance of recent history, especially the intellectual background of conservatism in America.) I appreciate David's commitment to the rule of law. He often has insights about the larger meaning of the Left's attacks on our institutions. The two of them have a good rapport. I just wish their intro music weren't pure ugliness... why. 

The Washington Examiner is a newspaper (online) with content you won't see in the legacy media. Full disclosure: my son Joseph is an editor over there! Again, the issue is the barrage of gender ideology news, not fit for children even (or especially) to view the photos, but a teen could find current events there, perhaps with adult supervision.

Michael Knowles' podcast is one I often listen to. I agree with him most of the time. I like his mix of news and basic principles -- he will almost daily remind his listeners of fundamental truths that ought to guide our political and social thoughts and decisions, like the importance of marriage and family for flourishing, and the need to worship the true God. I just like it when people are not afraid to return to these guiding ideas often. We need the reminders.

I like the Substack of William Briggs. On Twitter he calls himself "Statistician to the Stars" to poke fun at our expert class regime, if that gives you a hint of his vibe, though he really does crunch the numbers and debunk the nonsense. He understands the relationship between science and philosophy. Today he talks about our need to take responsibility for our own defense in light of the Maine shooter incident. Do you have your Class A license to carry? I think you should get it if you can.

Our friend Dan has short and informative posts about the issues in his Substack, Corned Beef Catholicism. I think your high school student could get a good overview from his content.

The Naked Emperor has so much content, especially as relates to Covid politics and vaccine injury reporting. I can't keep up with it all, though if I'm looking for something, it's a good resource.

Victor Davis Hanson knows a lot about everything, especially military history and strategy. You can read his articles here and many other places. If you have a lot of time, you can listen to his podcast here (but he really does go on! it took me a while to get used to his monologues! that said, he really does know what he's talking about). I am looking forward to hearing what he has to say about the Speaker of the House choice, as he was expressing frustration at the removal of McCarthy and the subsequent chaos. 


Tucker Carlson had some simple points to make about our right to be concerned about preserving our society and the criteria we might consider regarding the question of foreign policy. You can follow him on Twitter for his updates.

And of course, my husband's site for Catholic information. Instead of following sites with no filter and lots of incendiary clickbait, go to Catholic Culture for the news and for Phil Lawler's analysis. (Click on the "news" tab for the headlines.)

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram (politics-free over there!).

Do you have favorite resources to share? Let us know in the comments and I will try to check them out. 





14 comments:

  1. I truly appreciate and respect the Catholic information I receive from ChurchMilitant. I have followed their news and reporting for 10+ years and have always known them to check their sources and investigate the validity of any story before running with it. I rely on ChurchMilitant for information about what’s happening, particularly in the Catholic world. ChurchMilitant works to expose the corruption in the Church—so needed, and so important bring light into the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recommend that site. It's not at all reliable.
      Instead, for Catholic news, one should follow Catholic Culture, linked in the post.
      If you are commenting anonymously, please leave a moniker of some sort.

      Delete
    2. My shameless plug for Catholic News & Punditry: https://bigpulpit.com/

      Delete
  2. Just FYI, I was just checking about the Washington Examiners site (on my phone) because I’ve been looking for good sources for current events (was using The Wanderer here and there but… I don’t know…) and I tried to close an ad and managed to click on it instead. It was not wholesome. Not a criticism of the Examiners content, just a heads up that the ads may be a concern for some. -Mrs Jackson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is an issue for letting teens read/see a lot of sites.
      A lot of those ads are targeted, too. It may be possible to have an ad blocker. But caution is advised!

      Delete
  3. I have appreciated the in depth reporting at the Pillar. Mainly Church news, but they do not engage in inflammatory rhetoric or knee-jerk reactions. If they report something I am confident they have got solid sourcing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://wng.org/
    https://wng.org/podcasts/the-world-and-everything-in-it
    https://worldwatch.news/

    This is a protestant news organization that I really appreciate. The links are to their news website, the daily podcast for adults but family friendly with heads up when a story I'd intense and maybe not appropriate for children, and their 10 minute video news for teens, but family friendly. The video unfortunately is not free, but is is SO excellent.

    Seriously, this podcast and video have changed my life and I highly recommend checking them out and seeing if it could work for your family, or perhaps just mom- I can listen to the podcast and feel informed without tipping over into despair.

    They are respectful of Catholics, and I discuss with my teen their protestant perspective.

    Also really like the Colsen center's Breakpoint, I listen with my teen to selected episodes- not all. https://www.breakpoint.org/?__hstc=214592072.e56c7d6ef0ab4cf42991a616c9d56f21.1698777780440.1698777780440.1698777780440.1&__hssc=214592072.3.1698777780441&__hsfp=2966003089

    Thanks for all you do!
    Rachel in Italy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post. I would also recommend:

    - Steve Woods Luke21 podcast (not “current events” per se but great weekly content which helps interpret the time we are living through)

    - Joshua Charles Twitter/X account (again not “news” per se but does mix in commentary on current events)

    - Happy Despite Them blogpost - unfortunately the blogger does not post as much as she used to but most every post is gold and was very helpful during COVID to navigating what faithful Catholics and freedom loving Americans should do.

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! I am trying to return to posting here more regularly, though I also don't want to burden anyone's inbox

      Delete
  6. Re: getting a carry license, I’m conflicted, not in principle but in my stage of life as a mother with young children. I have started carrying pepper spray, and I have caught myself having to confiscate it from the toddler. I don’t think I have the attention to spare to make carrying practical: I couldn’t leave it in a diaper bag, wearing it under my clothes seems bothersome, etc. My current approach is that if I go to a less-safe area, I go with my husband, who carries. I assume that’s the traditional approach. I concede that I should probably go ahead and get the carry license and go to the range a few times to shore up my skills, but as far as actually carrying a gun myself, what would you encourage for mothers like me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m with you. I don’t want the responsibility for a firearm while I am also managing babies and children. I’m fine with learning and going to the range, etc. in theory. But practically, it would probably be down to my husband. Although I just had a mental image of whipping it out from under the nursing cover and that’s pretty ridiculous. There are holsters and such made for women, and plenty of mothers do use them. I would have to get a lot more confident and comfortable and much better trained with firearms in the first place before I do. It’s dangerous to carry without doing that due diligence first. My upbringing was that guns are simply evil, so I’ve come a long way. I’m just not ready to take on that responsibility at this point and I’m okay with that.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you must be 100% in control of your weapon. I agree that this presents problems for a mother with children in tow -- probably insurmountable problems!

      Delete
  7. I had a concealed carry license when my kids were young. In the class, it was cautioned NOT to carry if you weren’t 100% committed to using it for defense (aka shoot to kill). I had hoped for a ‘shoot to halt’ strategy, but the instructors emphasized that any hesitation during an incident can have disastrous results, with the weapon ultimately being used against you & your children. I couldn’t resolve my inner conflict, even after the terrifying videos about all the heinous cases on record. So I opted for a small bear spray that I treated like a loaded weapon (never kept/worn where a child could access it). Praying for all you good moms. Things haven’t become safer since my kids were young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. You must be willing to use a gun to shoot and kill if necessary.
      If not, don't have one, as it will be more dangerous than not having it at all!
      We need the men around us to carry and be well trained!

      Delete