Distant sound of Lent approaching

A rare Sunday message today, about Septuagesima70, a plan that begins today and continues through Lent. 

I'm not a program person, because the Liturgical Year offers us what we need in the spiritual realm. This plan is simply a way to put into practice the change of heart necessary for Christian life. It begins today on the traditional day, Septaugesima Sunday, of heeding the Lenten call, albeit heard in the distance. 

It's not something separate, a sort of "brighter idea, added onto or replacing Lent -- I would be totally against any such thing. 

No, sometimes we just need something to be spelled out, and that's what this is.

We are still two (and a bit) weeks away from Ash Wednesday. In the Novus Ordo calendar, it's "Ordinary Time." But even so, we have been aware in the liturgy of a growing emphasis on God's Law and His holy ways, and the necessity of adhering to them. How to do it?

God has given us a way to go along with Him on the path to Heaven. It has to do with our inner life, the hidden closet into which we must go with a repentant heart, in order to find and follow Him.

A transformation occurs when we start to live in His divine life. It requires a visceral, interior cooperation from us -- especially in our willingness to start again and again, after each failure and fall, to acquire certain habits that ultimately become virtues. For a virtue is simply this: a good habit that becomes part of us, a second nature; it's just that for a Christian, that "second" nature is divine.

As with any habit, at first, effort -- sometimes great effort -- is needed. And this is where the Liturgical Year comes in. The cycle of days and seasons offered by the Church offer us the right moments in which to respond to God's call. Now is the acceptable time.

The best plan -- and it can be put into practice at any moment, but let's say now is a good opportunity -- has certain elements in it:

It motivates us to put forth the necessary effort, but also doesn't cause us to lose courage. 

It aims high, but doesn't dismay. 

It involves camaraderie -- knowing others are also trying, at that particular time, to get similar habits helps us run the race. 

It has the components that acknowledge our human nature: physical and spiritual. 

It also gives us the advantage of a spiritual director, so we don't go too easy or too hard on ourselves, by relying on ourselves. I know Fr. Mark Withoos, the chaplain, very well -- he is an old friend. He combines a thorough knowledge of traditional practices in austerity, penance, and self-abnegation with a generous, heartening, and cheerful attitude. 

The life of virtue is a life of good habits won through mortification in every area. Good habits require knowledge, practice, fortitude, prayer, self-awareness, and something outside of oneself to correct.

I think Septuagesima70 is a way to acquire a newness of life -- just in time for Easter! The practices start tomorrow. Today, reflect! 

18 comments:

  1. Gratly appreciated! Do you have any suggestions suitable for a mom who might happen to give birth around Ash Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do! This mother must take good care of herself from now until then, and good care of the baby when it comes!

      If you look at the outline of the program, you will see it includes such things as getting to bed on time and getting exercise.

      These would be great things to work on in the time leading up to birth -- exercise being something like being sure to walk around, doing some stretches and bends, and when walking, sometimes having one foot at a different level from the other (eg one on the curb and one in the street, if it's a safe place to do it -- this stretches out the tendons between the inner thighs and helps get the baby in place).

      This mom will have her Lent all mapped out for her by the good Lord! Plenty to offer up and plenty of opportunities to refrain from complaining too much (and instead asking for what she needs very politely -- during labor all bets are off LOL).

      A pregnant and/or nursing mom can practice penance by eating what she needs and wants (the body is telling her what she needs through her wants), but perhaps focusing a little more on the former than the latter -- very gently.

      It's a good opportunity to practice cheerfulness and generosity! This is how we grow in virtue!

      Delete
    2. Dear Leila,
      Such divine timing for you to post this today....when I wake up...ready to renew my life and build prayer life for holy lent.
      Love in Christ......Deborah Conyers

      Delete
    3. Oh, wonderful, Deborah! I'm so glad.

      Delete
  2. I love this. Thanks, Leila.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this! For a mom who just experienced early miscarriage, would your recommendations be somewhat the same as for a pregnant or nursing mom? We also have 6 children. A but off topic, but along the lines of not really liking programs, what are your thoughts on the healing the whole person retreat? It will be coming to our area soon, but I am somewhat hesitant to attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about the miscarriage -- so sorry.
      Yes, please take care of yourself and make your penances things like the effort of smiling and so on - be gentle with yourself.
      From what I see about that retreat, I would not go myself. It worries me when things are centered around a person/leader. A retreat is most fruitful when it is along classic (not modern) Ignatian lines: meditating on the Four Last Things, God's Sacrifice for us, Reconciliation, God's goodness, and resolutions that we can carry with us of a moral and spiritual, not really emotional, nature.
      I would seek such a retreat in the most traditional place I could find near me.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Auntie Leila. I truly appreciate the sympathy, and I do need to smile more, haha!

      Thank you for articulating my thoughts on the retreat. The Institute of Christ King Sovereign Priest recently acquired a retreat center in my area as well, so I think I will just eagerly await their opening! God Bless you and your family.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, that sounds like the ticket!
      And of course you don't feel like smiling, but of course the other children are concerned about you, and giving them a little smile helps them -- and then helps you.

      Delete
  4. Hi Auntie Leila! I came to let you know that I was having trouble accessing "Like Mother, Like Daughter" today. I can see the articles on the home page. Clicking the article results in: "404 not found." I just wanted to let you know about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes, it's being worked on. Hope to be up and running soon!

      Delete
  5. Oh, but Auntie Leila, COLD showers!? I just don't think I can do that in northern Michigan in February! I spend most of each day being cold as it is. The rest seems almost do-able. I struggle with an all-or-nothing kind of syndrome but this does seem like it would be very fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't mean to comment anonymously -Amanda

      Delete
    2. I hear you, Amanda. None of it is obligatory (other than abstaining from meat on Fridays!).
      I think it's interesting that Father uses the cold shower as an example of one of the suggested penances that one might forego if it didn't suit... he's in Australia... where it's summer now LOL

      Delete
    3. I think we (my husband and I) are going to do this. I have started with giving up my morning coffee and drinking black tea instead and we will attempt to follow the rest during lent. Minus the cold showers- at least for me. I don't think we will do the weekly zoom meetings but adding in as many of the other things as we can manage (morning and evening prayer at least, and daily Mass once a week as a family.) Thank you for the inspiration!

      Delete
    4. I highly recommend listening to this first colloquy: https://www.iriafoundation.org.au/post/recording-exhortation-week-1-a-guide-of-the-prayers-and-meditations-of-septuagesima70

      Delete
  6. Dear Auntie Leila,

    I was wondering if, in a future post here or on LMLD, you could address how we should eat as traditional Catholic Christians. I don't just mean according to the Church calendar, but on a daily basis. What is the mindset? How do nuns and monks in their abbeys and cloisters eat? Should we eat according to a schedule, just as one might pray the Divine Office?

    What I want to know is, how should we eat in a world that has an abundance of food in general, and an increasing number of snack/fast/made-up food "products" available 24/7? How do we eat for the glory of God, neither too little, nor too much?

    How do we tame our literal appetites outside of Lent without becoming scrupulous, overly fixated, or vain?

    I wonder if you have thoughts.

    Thank you, Leila. You inspired me, nine years ago, to homeschool our children and live the liturgical life. No one from "before" would really recognize us now, and I think it's a good (albeit sometimes hard) thing. God bless you. You've made a difference in my life.

    ReplyDelete