Bear with me here...

Yesterday I found in my notes this article that I thought I had lost, by Joseph Shaw: Bishops have become strangers to each other: here's why. Seems farfetched at first glance, but he makes the case.

This is the sort of thing I like, that shows how a seemingly irrelevant and inefficient practice, proficiency in Latin among the clergy, restores the bonds between men -- not only the bonds of truth in doctrine, but the bonds of fraternal charity.

Then come to find out that not knowing (and therefore not using) Latin can have serious consequences for the bonds between clergy and faithful: ASK FATHER: “If a priest blesses something without following the ritual, is it really blessed? (BAD NEWS!) (Fr. Z tries to console us, but really, priests, please bless things in Latin.)

I see a connection here... and bear with me... with mothers making supper every day. Why not streamline this process so that you don't have to be in the kitchen at 4pm? Isn't it silly in this day and age for a woman to be tied to her apron this way? 

But maybe being there builds and restores the bonds of family. I talk about making learning how to make dinner every day (like a priest learning how to speak Latin? Work, but necessary work!) at Like Mother, Like Daughter:

"Also, I think it’s good for kids to know that Mom will usually be in the kitchen at a certain time getting things ready. They help of course, and they also have those great free moments that seem like hours, with the smells wafting around them as they play or read. Those are great memories! Do I really want to eliminate that part of life? I think that to do so would have the unfortunate consequence of enabling the crazy activity-oriented child-rearing we see today, something that I deplore."


8 comments:

  1. Interestingly enough I even see a connection between men who speak Latin who are NOT priests - like my husband and the 2-3 male Latin teachers in his choir. There's something to this. There's also a comfort that priests have in dealing with Tom with the music because he knows Latin and knows the liturgy very well; good priests feel comfortable working with him, bad priests...feel intimidated (the "bad priests" usually don't speak Latin).

    When I told Tom we needed to outsource something I wondered aloud "do people even have cooks anymore??" haha But truly, this would be the last of my responsibilities I'd forego - everyone seems to enjoy it when mom is in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting!
    And maybe, just like "bad moms" are actually moms who have not been helped to learn the skills necessary for competence, so "bad priests" might just not have the skills.
    When something is easy and doesn't take much thought, it's not really ... respected. Truly, anyone, even a child, could say the Novus Ordo Mass in English. I could go up there today and say it. How do priests really respect themselves? Do something hard, men! Challenge yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Most bad priests (in this sense) aren't really bad - they're intimidated, and touchy about feeling "less than" for not knowing the old Mass. It insults their pride.

      As I've said before...my son has never even shown the slightest desire to serve at the NO Mass. He shrugs. But at the EO form Mass he's riveted. "How do they know?" he asks. "How do they know what to do?" When I tell them they have to practice and study, he can tell it's hard and he's very impressed - and he wants to do it BECAUSE it's hard!

      Delete
  3. If only these thoughts and principles could be focused on in the primary sources of information instead of the current "hot topics" that are being pushed and that are on their way to enshrinement in laws that are contrary to faith, family and survival of the human species...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cooking in the evening gets wearying...the day is long. But I have 3 kids right now that love this time, that are often at my elbow wanting g to help...there is definitely value there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. There are things we can do to make it less wearying, but the sacrifice is worth it.

      Delete
  5. My oldest adores Latin, and is very pleased that, should God call him to be a priest, he'll have a head start on the necessary studies! My 10yo daughter is NOT excited about starting Latin, but I never was either...

    I always find it very sweet that my clingy toddler, whenever I manage to slip out of her sight, always immediately looks for me in the kitchen. She's usually correct! My husband didn't understand why I had to spend all morning in the kitchen today, but there was sourdough to bake, applesauce bread to prepare for tomorrow's breakfast, eggs to hard boil for snacks this week, and peanut butter to make... And then all the ensuing dishes to wash!! Of course I didn't get outdoors until past noon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that young'uns get used to Latin when they say their prayers in that language!
      Mama's always doing something in the kitchen -- as Sukie once said to me, sometimes we have to remember to do something other than cook! (It's just that we like food... haha)(and have a big family to feed!)

      Delete