Evangelization isn't what you think it is...

 ... if you think there is a program for it, that you go get a degree in it, that there can be an official version of it.

As we await the glorious feast of Pentecost, I want to quickly say something that's on my mind without elaborating too much. It's just that there is money in the Catholic Church to be made, and busyness to be displayed, by peddling evangelization -- but there is no formula for bringing others to Christ. This is clear in Scripture. Again, I don't have time right now to prove everything, but I want to put it in all our hearts that when we are baptized and receive the sacraments, we have the Holy Spirit and He will guide us. 

Even if what we say to others doesn't check any official boxes, and even if we are not moved to say anything -- even if we pray in the recesses of our home and have nothing to say -- if we have good will and love the ones we speak to and pray for, we are evangelizing.

It's in the spirit of these comments that I want to post this article about a barber who witnesses to Christ in his own way, and trust me, it's a way that will send purveyors of official evangelization twisting their knickers in fear when they hear about it. They, these experts, have their "one thing" you need to know with many resources (for sale) to back up their claim; and they often admonish us to temper our words and try not to scare people. In fact, they temper the actual message of Christ because they are so afraid of that very thing they say they are promoting, evangelization. 

Well, Elias Elsayah has his own way, and the priest who saved him from a life of sin had his way. 

“If I hadn’t heard Elias’ story of God’s mercy and grace, I believe I would still be living a sinful life,” Farah [a client at the shop] said.

The priest who saved Elias' soul actually yelled at him -- a total no-no in today's church of accompaniment and non-judgementalism.

Elsayah told the priest in confession that he was living in sin with a woman to whom he was not married. He said that Kozah replied, “This woman, she’s your sister in Christ. You’re not allowed to touch her until you’re married to her in the Church.”

“Fr. Saliba told me ‘if you die you’ll go straight to hell. No salvation, don’t let anybody fool you.’ Then, he gave me absolution,” he said.

Elsayah said that this confession changed his life forever. He began pursuing a life of purity, and his relationship with his girlfriend ended. He said his obsession with women was overcome through the grace from confession.

In my diocese (not far from the one where Elsayah met this Maronite priest), engaged couples are told that if they cohabit, they shouldn't worry! A young (and chaste) lady of my acquaintance told me that the organizers of her engagement retreat spoke not of going to hell for this mortal sin but of extra grace that would come to them in marriage since they were experiencing ways of getting to know each other better before that time.

You see the contrast. 

I'm not saying that everyone is sin ought to be yelled at. I'm saying that we need to know the truth and witness to it not according to any prescribed method but according to the one suggested by the Holy Spirit at that moment. This is what the priest did. This is what Elias Elsayah does. 

And I am warning that we cannot have "one rule" about any of it. We have to trust and pray and be willing to be courageous in His service, just like this wonderful and inspiring barber



11 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%. Every person is different, every situation is different, and God made us all individuals, after all. I think that this was his original intention, that each of us would be guided by him every moment, like Jesus. Making set rules of behavior in this or that situation is a mistake and gets in the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Making rules interferes with the person's intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit.
      Any rules are contained already in Scripture. The Psalms exhort us to love God's law and to speak of Him day and night. The Gospels are our founding document. The Acts of the Apostles provide us with examples of the apostles' freedom and sense of personal responsibility. The epistles fuel our fire.
      We do not need experts and they only hinder the Spirit.

      Delete
  2. Exactly! And this story reminds me of my early days of studying theology at a Catholic college in which I met quite a few young men who left their jobs in the world to study theology because they had gone through a conversion and thought they should be serious about this faith stuff. Some of them had priestly vocations, but most ended up working for the Church in some capacity (running programs to bring the Faith to people) and I always thought they should have taken that new fervor and knowledge and just gone back to their old careers to be leaven in the world. This barber is doing so much good by just being a Catholic barber! I am sure some would want to recruit him to run parish programs, but that isn't always the way God brings people to Himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they would want to recruit him - except for that "you're going to hell" part of his story!!
      You are right - people often respond to their newly found faith by thinking that they should "work for the Church." But either one is CALLED to a vocation or one should just be a good apostle and evangelist in one's place! Wherever it might be!

      Delete
    2. I suppose this is an example that demonstrates both sides of the coin, but my husband was a FOCUS missionary for a few years, evangelizing on college campuses. But the crux of his ministry to college students was just forming relationships, and being himself. His outreach was mostly to fraternity brothers, and much of his time was spent just hanging out with them. It was an organized effort to be sure, and they go through pretty extensive training and all of that... but his ability to shoot the.. you know what... with a bunch of frat guys most certainly was a tool used by the Holy Spirit to bring some of those men to Jesus. Anyway, I’m just musing. I absolutely loved the article about this man, and send it to my husband immediately. I think people evangelizing in their normal every day lives and ordinary work places can truly change the world.

      Delete
  3. I agree very much with this. There's also money to be made in Catholic "branding" on the internet. (I promise this is not a swipe at you, Leila ;) ) In the past 20 years with the explosion of the internet, and in the past 15 with the explosion of social media, we've seen a glut of "professional Catholic influencers", in particular. I've not actually seen many maintain it well and often thought some of them should just give it up for the sake of their own souls and family life. But it appears that the money they make off their "brand", or the platform they've developed to influence others, is too important to give up. (Conversely, I get the impression that if blogging became a problem for you in those ways you'd drop it. I would hate to see you go in that event, but I would have mad respect for you too, as I would any other person who would do that, but I digress...)
    In the same vein, I've also seen young parents burn out by being very active in Church ministry to the detriment of their children and the point of almost even losing their faith. I think it's an extension of the point above. No one seems to think they are doing anything "useful" unless they are specifically engaged in Church related activity when that's actually far from the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Thank you for what you say about my work, too. I try hard not to get involved in any of that influencer stuff. At first I didn't even know what it was! And yes, I am not wedded to being online.
      Leila Miller speaks often about watching people lose their faith in real time. It's horrible to see. And really harms others in their faith, too.

      Delete
  4. Leila, thank you for saying this out loud. It's so hard to bring this up when almost everyone has a friend who's fallen into the "professional ministry" trap. When evangelization is your livelihood, you make Christ a product you are trying to sell to others.

    I've also gotten burned in the past by people who presented themselves as wanting to be my friend, but who were actually only fostering the friendship to get me to participate in their particular ministry they were sponsoring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this story about the barber. Totally agree with your take on evangelization.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May God give us MORE priests like the one in this story. Priests who are holy, who are courageous, who are bold, who are zealous for souls.

    ReplyDelete